A Little Crochet

November 7, 2012

Willow Catkin Hood Willow Catkin Hood

Once again, I find myself surprised at how quickly crochet projects work up compared to knitting, and how much more yarn they tend to use per square inch. This project, the Willow Catkin Hood, only took me a day to finish once I figured out the sizing, and I haven't taken it off my head since. It's really warm and comfortable. (Sorry for the crappy webcam pics.)

The pattern for this project gives you sizing information for babies, toddlers, teens and adults, but I found that the adult size is way too big. In fact, the teen size is a little roomy, too, but I like it that way. Still, the pattern is simple enough to improvise if you need to adjust the size. Also, instead of measuring only three lengths of yarn for each tassel, I measured out 18 lengths. This gave me much thicker braids.

Untitled

After I finished my Willow Catkin Hood, I decided I wanted to keep playing with my crochet hooks, so I started in on this pretty little thing. I don't usually go for the lacy projects, but this one is beautiful. As for the yarn, I've had my eye on Knit Picks' Stroll Tonal yarn in the pearlescent colorway for quite awhile. It's lovely, and perfect for this scarf.

I've got a few other projects in the works, but I'll have to wait to share those with you until after Christmas. Maybe just a sneak peek or two. :)

Anyway, today I'm planning to make some stew and cornbread in the crock pot, and order advance tickets to see The Hobbit next month. I'm so excited!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed! I've never been able to crochet. I can manage to knit on occasion, but that's about all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imo, crochet is much easier, though I know some people think just the opposite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hood is adorable! I really, really love how the Pearlescent is working up, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! That pearlescent colorway is so beautiful. I'm really happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! Crocheting does take a lot more yarn though--noticed that the last time I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think I read somewhere that it takes up about 1/3rd more yarn per square inch than knitting. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one gorgeous hood. I've been thinking about doing a red hood to wear with my winter coat. This pattern looks great!

    Crochet pattered do work up really quickly - I can crochet in a couple of hours thing that would take me a day to knit.

    ReplyDelete