Indoor Activities

October 10, 2012

Wren

So yesterday was Matt's 28th birthday. To celebrate, we invited a few close friends over for a combined birthday/housewarming party. It was so nice to have our first small gathering here at The Nest, and I'm looking forward to many more. One thing we hadn't anticipated, though, was our lack of seating, which is something we're going to have to remedy as soon as possible. 

We're also going to need a much bigger dining table, so Matt has been gathering inspiration in order to draw up plans to build it himself. So far, my favorite tables come from Pottery Barn. For instance, we like this one because of the painted farmhouse legs and the bare wood top. And this one we like because of its simplicity. The second one is probably cheaper to build, but I think we're leaning toward the farmhouse style. We just need to figure out where to find those oversized decorative legs and we'll be all set.

For mitts.

Another Autumn

Since Monday was Columbus Day, I decided to take advantage of my local craft store's promotional discounts by bringing home a huge sack full of yarn. I managed to buy $100 dollars worth of yarn for only $50 - it was a deal I couldn't pass up. So, I'll be home with my crochet hook, knitting needles, and yarn for the next two days straight, making as many things as I possibly can. Can you tell I'm excited? I've been planning this yarny marathon for awhile now.

If only I could read and knit at the same time. I've started a new book, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and I'm hooked!

7 comments:

  1. What a precious picture of Wren..don't they look so innocent when they are sleeping?

    You always make all the yarn work sound so delicious...I must get back to it and and keep it up.

    Have fun with your projects. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, what is that stitch called on the knitting project at the bottom? I'm a novice knitter and I've got a sweater done in that stitch and I've always wanted to know! Your blog makes me want to pick up my morning knitting by the woodstove again. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wish I could knit and read at the same time. I suppose there are always audiobooks, but its not the same as reading for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having the first gathering in your new place is one of those moments when it becomes a home. I assume, like our friends, some of yours sat on the floor!

    I like the colouring of the first table, but the shape of the second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sherri: Yeah! How did your knitted dishcloths turn out?

    @Tanglewood: Seed stitch! It's actually very simple, but a little time consuming because you're switching back and forth between knits and purls constantly. Still the results are worth it. :)

    @Anna: Yeah, I kinda feel like if I'm going to do audiobooks, I might as well watch a film. Part of what I like about reading is that I get to make up the characters and setting in my own mind. Maybe someday I'll knit well enough to do both at the same time. :)

    Lisa-Marie: We actually barely scraped through with footstools and outdoor chairs, so nobody was forced to sit on the floor this time. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, adorable cat picture! Love the colorful yarn you got, I'm excited to see what you are making :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I can't ever seem to stop taking photos of my kitties. :)

    ReplyDelete