One of my favorite things...

September 6, 2012

Untitled  Untitled
Untitled

I love blackberry season. I know blackberry bushes are nothing new around here in Oregon, and that most people take great pains to keep them from growing out their ears, but I think these little black gems might be my favorite berry of them all.

Untitled

Maybe it's because when I was a kid, I would build myself forts inside the blackberry bushes at my old house where the adults couldn't find me, and then I'd dig holes in the ground to collect the fruit so I could live outside and remain well fed all year long. Obviously it never rained in this magical world I'd created for myself. And there was no such thing as mold. Or thieving critters... I had an active imagination back then.

Untitled
Untitled

Anyway, I didn't get many blackberries last year (Matt and I were too busy gettin' hitched). Certainly not enough to make jam, so I've been trying to make up for lost time. Luckily, my dad and step-mom have tons of berries on their property, and I just so happen to be house-sitting for them this week, so Matt and I spent all afternoon yesterday picking berries down by the river.

Untitled
Untitled

Jake the dog came along with us to provide entertainment. I was a little surprised to discover that he likes blackberries almost as much as I do, but not surprised that his tummy is a little sad for it today. Poor dog.

7 comments:

  1. I love blackberries too and even let them take over a portion of our driveway. I am still picking and freezing like a crazy woman..It's so comforting to know that they are there when I want them.

    Such a sweet doggie helper! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent one fall in Oregon and this reminds me of the mornings when I would fill a bowl of blackberries for breakfast. So good! I know they grow like crazy out there but sometimes I wish they were as prolific where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to eat them and call it revenge.

    We're constantly fighting them off (and reroofing the shed this year because a bramble went through) but I refuse to remove them completely, because they taste so darn good. It's worth the scratches I get wrangling them every summer.

    We have three different kinds at the house. I am trying to encourage the native ones-- and i HATE evergreen blackberry.

    That is my blackberry ramble for today. Now I will go back to eating them on top of yoghurt (with honey) and laughing maniacally. "I told you I would have my revenge!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have very fond memories of blackberry picking when I was a child, forts and all. We used to take old boards and lumber to create elaborate walkways through the dense thickets to get at the "best berries".

    We missed blackberry season last year too, so this year we made up for it with a big batch of jam! I hope Jake recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! They look just like the wild raspberries we have here! We picked a ton of them, but it wasn't enough. I could eat them all year long! Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have brambles in our back garden too. And you have just reminded me that I need to pick what may be our last batch this year before the birds/insects/cats get them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blackberries are my very favorite. I particularly enjoy blackberry pie, and yes, also blackberry jam. You'll have to see if Grandma remembers her recipe for pie dough, because it is different than anything else I have ever tasted, and is the very best. Grandma's blackberry rocked! And it's been a long time since she made anything like that.

    ReplyDelete