Zucchini-Basil Soup

August 22, 2012

Zucchini-Basil Soup

My counter has been overflowing with zucchini for the last two weeks, and I'm so happy about it! Strange, I know, but it's all because of a few amazing zucchini-related recipes I've collected over the past couple years, including this one for zucchini-basil soup. I've made it three times already this month (doubling the batch each time), and I still can't get over how rich and good the flavor is. It's smooth and creamy without any potatoes or dairy (unless you add a splash of cream over the top like I sometimes do). 

Zucchini-Basil Soup

Sometimes I'll garnish my bowl with some cooked chard and leeks - whatever happens to be growing in the garden - for a little texture, but I usually eat it as-is, straight out of the pot accompanied by thick slices of toasted sourdough bread drizzed with extra virgin olive oil.

I should also mention that the reason I prepare a double batch each time I make it is because this soup keeps well in the refrigerator. Matt and I like to eat it cold for lunch the next day, especially if it's hot outside:

Zucchini-Basil Soup
4 pounds zucchini and/or yellow crookneck squash
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons butter 
5-6 cloves garlic
4 cups water
1 handful of basil leaves, rinsed
Salt to taste

Rinse zucchini and remove ends. Slice lengthwise, and chop into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic cloves, and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the chopped zucchini and/or squash, and a pinch of salt, and cook for another five minutes. Add the water.

Bring water up to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender (about 25 minutes). Remove from heat.

Add the basil leaves. Puree using an immersion blender until completely smooth. Taste and add salt as necessary. Pour into bowls and serve warm with bread or crackers.

Note: Soup tastes amazing hot or cold.

Recipe adapted from Epicurious.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this recipe! i'll pass it around as zucchini & tomatoes are in abundance in our area~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have oodles of frozen, grated Zucchini in both freezers, from last year and this will be a quick and delicious way to make the room I need...I hope it won't make a difference not using fresh.

    Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try this! I've been running out of ideas for what to do with my squash. Do you think I could use yellow patty pan squash instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. I've used patty pans and yellow crooknecks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This is going in the to make list. Just in time for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete