The Living Room Floor

July 31, 2012

Hello friends. Matt and I have been living here at our new (old) house for nearly two weeks now, so I think it's time to show you a few pictures! Unfortunately, although we've been working hard every day, there hasn't been much in the way of visual progress, so I only have a glimpse of one room to share with you today. Rest assured, everything behind the camera is a total mess.

Living Room Floors

This is a shot I took of our living room before we moved in. We knew immediately that the blue carpet needed to go, so we ripped it out the first chance we got. Of course, the previous owners had lots of cats, so the carpet left a potent stench in its wake. Still, what we were able to uncover was well worth the torture.

Living Room Floors Living Room Floors

These are a couple shots showing the floorboards covered in a thick layer of sticky brown stuff that took hours to sand down. Luckily, the wood underneath was really promising.

Finding the perfect stain was a little rough for us at first. On impulse, I picked out the American Walnut color (Minwax) from Home Depot, but discovered it was way too red for my taste. Thankfully, we were able to take it back and exchange it for something else.

Living Room Floors
Living Room Floor

After doing a little research, I decided I wanted to go with a dark stain that didn't have as much red or yellow; something that looked a little rustic. We chose to go with a light coat of Jacobean (again, Minwax), and to finish it off with a few coats of satin polyurethane. I'll admit that I had a little freak-out moment wherein I thought the stain might be a touch too dark, but it didn't last long. After we added our clear coats, the wood-grain detail popped right out, and the boards began to show more pronounced variations in color. In other words, perfect.

Living Room Floors

After waiting the obligatory 3 days, I went over the baseboards, window frames, and doors with an almost-white color called Tailor's Chalk (Martha Stewart interior) to help brighten up the space and make the existing wall color pop. After the paint dries tonight, we can finally hang our curtains and move in some furniture.

This makes three rooms in the house we can use! Next up: the bedroom. Peach walls and all.

17 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks beautiful! I love it when people bring old hardwood floors back to life. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, didn't those floors turn out nice. It always amazes me how carpet was always put over those wood floors.

    It looks like you have some nice big windows to let a good bit of light in.

    I have been looking forward to a little report from you..thanks for taking the time to give us a peek. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing floor designs... Simply in Love with them :)
    I want mines to be just like them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linday let me say I look up to you so much. You inspire me inner peace and calm. I don`t know why, I think you got what life`s about right! :)

    keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that was some yucky blue, but the hardwood underneath looks beautiful now that you've got it all shined up! And those windows! (Also, is that a fireplace I see at the edge of that first shot?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow it turned out so beautiful! i'm so impressed with your handy work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, well worth the effort!

    Also, there was probably a lot of wee in that sticky stuff, so I'm glad it's gone!

    Ohhh, your house is going to be LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I'm glad you all like it as much as we do.

    Sherri - the windows are HUGE! I love them so much. And the ceilings are super high, too. Can't wait to show you the curtains we bought for the room. :)

    Meryl - Yes! Well, sorta. The seller had to remove the old wood stove because it wasn't up to code, but the hearth is still there. We'll be replacing the wood stove or adding a gas stove sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out gorgeous! Makes me want to get to work around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Lindsay! Just beautiful! You and Matt are doing a wonderful job! My gosh, I just LOVE hardwood floors. You are both so fortunate to have found such a wonderful old home with so much character!
    I believe houses have 'feels' to them, personalities, if you will. And when Tim and I visited you charming new home, I could 'feel' that your new house was just awash in happiness. It felt good. The place had been neglected, and allowed to go to seed.....but you and Matt have saved it, will save it, and give it back the dignity it once had. So....it is happy....and happiness is contagious! :D Have fun!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this is good info for me. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well this is good info for me. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh....it looks gorgeous!! :) Love the stain color you chose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are number of sites and stores Hardwood flooring that offer wood floors at extremely sensible costs. A few sites give incredible rebates to individuals who buy hardwood floors on the web. Mortgage holder can pick outlines and styles online as there is as a rule greater determination of plans and styles online then in retail locations.

    ReplyDelete