Favorite Lentil Soup Recipe

June 11, 2012

Favorite Lentil Soup

I was still in grade school on the day I was given this recipe handout from the Rheinlander. My family and I would go there to eat once or twice per year for birthday celebrations, and I'd always order the lentil soup with the chicken cordon bleu. This was back before I could drink the beer.

Lentil Soup with Yeast Rolls

Anyway, I haven't been to the Rheinlander in years. I still visit Gustav's, though, which offers most of the same delicious food. I usually go during happy hour for a cold glass of beer, swiss cheese fondue, and a bowl of their amazing lentil soup. As for the recipe I was given back when I was a kid? It's perfect, and it's one of my favorite things to make at home. I've made a few changes based on the ingredients we usually have around the house, so you can either follow my version below, or you can check out the original from the photo above. Either way, it's delicious.

Lentil Soup
4 oz diced bacon
2 onions, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 quart beef stock
1 pint water (more as needed)
1 1/2 cup green lentils
1 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4-5 medium potatoes, diced
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
salt to taste

Cook bacon in stock pot over medium heat until browned. Add the diced onion and carrot and saute until golden. Add the stock, water, lentils, thyme, bay leaves, and pepper, and cook for 1/2 hour.

UntitledLentil Soup
 
Add the potatoes and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, adding water when/if needed. Grate the nutmeg into the pot and add salt to taste. Stir in the vinegar before serving.

Serve with bread, such as these buttermilk yeast rolls, with plenty of jam.

5 comments:

  1. I sure appreciate a good lentil soup. I haven't had this version but I like the way it has more texture than others that I've tried.

    I wonder if old Horst Mager is still the owner of Rheinlander, such a Portland landmark.

    We will try this and I am happy to report that the Mister said the chili is a keeper and even took it to work for lunch the next day..Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh that looks so hearty and delicious! how i loooove lentil soup! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so good~ i look forward to giving it a try!

    have a great week!

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love a good lentil soup! This recipe is fairly similar to my go to recipe, though I have never used beef stock only chicken stock. Will have to give this version a try!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tend to have red lentil soup that has been blended, so I am filing this one for autumn experimentation. It looks delciously hearty. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete