Best Ever Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

June 27, 2012

Cookies

These are my new favorite cookies. I've been meaning to share them with you for awhile. They're made with browned butter...

Need I say more?

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8-9 oz chopped dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350°F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue to stir until butter has browned and has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes while you prep the dry ingredients.

Place flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl, and whisk together until well combined. Set aside.

Pour the melted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the brown and granulated sugars. Using a paddle attachment, mix on medium-high for 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, and beat on medium for another 2-3 minutes until light and airy.

Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer, and fold in chopped dark chocolate, nuts, shredded coconut, and rolled oats. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hr (or up to one day).

Using your hands or a cookie scooper, place the dough in uniform tablespoon-sized balls on cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart to allow for expansion. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges just start to brown. Remove from oven and gently place on wire rack until cool.

Cookies

Serve with an ice cold beer. Enjoy!

Recipe slightly adapted from Simply Recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love browned butter..a favorite way to serve popcorn. I can't believe I didn't think of using it in baking. Hmmm, this opens up a whole new world. - I bet those cookies won't last long..they wouldn't in our house. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. my oh my those sound so delicious! i love a good oatmeal cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made peanut butter cookies with browned butter once, but oatmeal chocolate chip! Be still, my heart! Definitely have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I think I have all of the ingredients! Now you've done it, I'll be baking late tonight.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete