Red Rice Salad

May 23, 2012

Red Rice

During one of our trips to a nearby Asian food market, Matt and I picked up a gigantic bag of red rice. It was an impulse purchase that decorated our kitchen shelf for a year before I decided I needed to figure out how to use it. I'm not sure what took me so long, but I cook with it all the time nowadays. It has a nice, nutty flavor, and can be prepared just like brown rice.

Red Rice Salad

About a month ago, I ran across a recipe on 101 Cookbooks for a Red Rice Salad that looked simple enough to try at home. I tweaked the ingredients a bit to make it more accessible to me, and was blown away by the flavor. It's delicious, texturally interesting, and can be made in a large batch to eat throughout the week. Matt says it's one of his favorite foods to take to work, and that he likes it cold just as much as he likes it warm.

Red Rice Salad 
2 cups water
1 cup red rice
2 tablespoons oil
1 red onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red chili, seeded and chopped
1-2 inches ginger root, peeled and minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup peas, frozen or fresh
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon molasses
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Pour the rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water. Combine the rice and the 2 cups of water into a saucepan over high heat until it starts to boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 45 minutes until the rice is done. Remove from heat and let cool with lid on until room temperature.

Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chile, ginger, carrot and peas. Continue sauteing until they start to get tender, and add the coconut milk, soy sauce, and molasses. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the contents of the saute pan with the rice, and mix gently. Squeeze the lime juice into the mixture and garnish with fresh basil and nuts. Delicious served warm or cold.

Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks.

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that looks delicious! and your photography is beautiful! thanks for sharing! can't wait to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blog and I love experimenting with different types of rice, so I think we'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be living under a rock..again..I haven't seen red rice but will look for it now. The recipe sounds delicious.

    Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walk past the red rice all the time and never buy it. On my next visit, I'll get some and make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am like Sherri I have never heard of red rice either but I am going to look for it now. This recipe has all win win ingredients I want to give it a go. Your photos are so good Lindsay

    ReplyDelete