Homemade Horchata

April 13, 2012

Homemade Horchata

Now that the weather is warming up on our side of the country (hooray!), I wanted to share one of my favorite homemade beverage recipes with you - Horchata! This is probably one of the easiest drinks to prepare at home, and I actually prefer to make it myself because I like my drinks less sweet than most people. That said, feel free to adjust the amount of sugar or honey you use according to your taste. I also occasionally add nuts or different spices to change the flavor a little, but this is my basic go-to recipe. Enjoy!

Homemade Horchata
¾ cup rice (I usually use long grain white or brown basmati)
4 cups water
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
½ cup sugar or mild honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups water, milk, or coconut milk

Pour the rice in a blender and pulse until it resembles a coarse crumb. Add the 4 cups water and the cinnamon stick(s), and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Homemade Horchata Homemade Horchata
Homemade Horchata

Blend the mixture (cinnamon sticks included) for 2-3 minutes until completely pureed. Add the sugar and the vanilla extract, and blend again until completely combined. Check for sweetness.

Strain the mixture with a cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve into a pitcher. Add the two cups water, milk, or coconut - depending on your preference - and stir. Pour in glasses over ice as-is, or add a splash of brandy. Garnish with cinnamon.

16 comments:

  1. This is so interesting, I have never heard of it before...it does sound so refreshing. - I think Spring is finally here, enjoy your weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh yum! can't wait to give this a try~

    happy weekending~

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum.

    You are the queen of delicious homemade stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious, but a horchata is usually made with tiger nut (chufas) at least in Catalonia.
    Where is this recipe from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that on the West Coast (CA and AZ) we use rice and water/milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, from what I've gathered, the original horchata is/was made with tiger nuts, but people tend to use what's available to them. I've only ever had horchata made from rice and water.

    The recipe I use comes from a combination of sources over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves horachata more that is normal. Maybe I'll make this for him tonight and surprise him with it in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try this--I love basmati rice! I'll have to try it with my Solstice Brew (a flavored brandy).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved horchata, but never thought to try making it myself. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Cheers,
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore horchata. I swear by at as a hangover cure, though I suppose it could be the greasy chilaquiles I usually eat on those mornings as well. Now I'll have to try making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had this the other day for the first time I loved it but did find it too sweet I am so glad you posted the recipe so I can try it at home perfect!
    kt

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! Can't wait to try it :) I'm so glad I found your blog! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to try this for some time. Your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the recipe we've been looking for! We've been buying horchata from a restaurant down the street, but it seems so easy to make. Thanks for sharing! It's one of the best warm-weather refreshers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds and looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for this recipe. i whipped up a batch last week and the mister approved. it was so very easy! i will be making this fairly often. yay!

    ReplyDelete