Citrus Salt

March 26, 2012

Citrus Salt

Citrus Salt Citrus Salt

I just made two batches of citrus salt that were inspired by this post from 101 Cookbooks. The first batch was made with lemon zest, which I think is perfect over air-popped popcorn with a little melted butter and sugar (think toned down kettle corn). The second batch I made with lime zest, which is delicious over fish, or in guacamoles and salsas.

Speaking of lemons and limes, one thing I've noticed lately is that there are many people who can't (or don't) taste the difference between them. I agree that they can often be used interchangeably, but for me, I tend to like lemon juice in my baked goods and glazes, whereas I prefer lime in my more salty/savory foods. For instance, I'd be able to tell if someone used lemon instead of lime in my salsa, and I'd probably find it somewhat disappointing.

What about you?

7 comments:

  1. I try to always have lemon and lime on hand at all times, there are so many recipes that call for them...No problem for me telling them apart and I have started using lime along with lemon in some goodies lately. - The salt would have gone great with our Salmon this evening. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of lemon salt over popcorn and I too prefer limes in my savory dishes and lemons in my sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be able to tell too. I don't think they are very interchangable at all!

    I live the idea of citrus salt, and I adore your wee tags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there was such a thing as citrus salt and I am loving the sound of it. I think this would be a wonderful touch to baking and cooking.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble finding people in my life who even have limes, let alone know the difference in taste. I have to admit i use them interchangably, depending on which I fancy at the time. I also use lemongrass and lemon verbena! Bit of a lemon/lime freak, me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds incredible! What a great way to flavor and they would make adorable favors!

    ReplyDelete