Best Hot Chocolate, Ever

March 16, 2012

The best hot chocolate.

So last week it was sunny and warm, and there were daffodils springing up everywhere. I was feeling giddy and excited for all of the spring colors and the warmer weather, and especially for all of the massive changes Matt and I have been working toward this year. And then this week happens, with all of its cold and rain and snow, and suddenly I’m forced back down to reality.

Hello reality.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about myself over the years, it’s that I’m impatient. Once I make up my mind about something, I generally do what it takes to get things done, and the sooner things get done, the better. As a result, I often find the days between rather excruciating, and I have to force myself to relax and enjoy the moment.

  The best hot chocolate. Chocolate

So that’s what I’m doing right now. Good things are coming – that’s a fact. The weather will get warmer, the flowers will bloom, and all of our hard work will come to fruition. So for now, I’m trying to embrace winter’s last hurrah, because once we’re in the middle of summer, I’m really going to miss today.

Chocolate

So cheers to the end of winter with what is possibly the world’s most amazing cup of hot chocolate. I ran into this idea for hot chocolate made from homemade chocolate ganache on Molly’s blog – Remedial Eating, and I immediately knew it'd be worth trying myself. It was.

This homemade chocolate ganache stuff is definitely going to be a staple in our home, especially during the cold months. It wipes the floor with powdered hot chocolate packets, even the high end stuff. The only change I made to Molly's recipe was to lower the amounts of each ingredient so that it would fit happily into a wide mouth pint jar.

Chocolate Ganache
9 oz. dark chocolate (I used Trader Joe's)
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Chop up the chocolate and place it in a bowl. Heat the heavy whipping cream until just before it comes to a boil, remove from heat, and pour over the chocolate. Let the cream and chocolate sit for 3-4 minutes, and then stir (don't beat) with a whisk until well combined. Pour into a pint sized jar or any air-tight container, and store in the refrigerator.

To make hot chocolate, heat up your milk. Add 1-2 big spoonfuls of the chocolate ganache to each mug, top with the heated milk, and stir with a spoon. So, so good.

7 comments:

  1. Ok this is going in the fridge at the City House for sure.. the grands will get such a kick out of grandma making their cocoa like this. Thanks! - You and Matt have a wonderful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am impatient too! and somewhat of a procrastinator..
    i love ganache!! I LOVEEEE IT!!
    here in az, it is not cold at all. it has been lovely weather..today seemed to be pretty warm. apparently it is supposed to rain, and be cold this weekend. Im looking forward to it. Maybe it will be the perfect time to try this hot chocolate out!! yum
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! You probably have to keep the ganache in the fridge? It almost makes me wish it was still a little cold here! Almost.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh...that looks heavenly!! :) I have the same problem stepping back while in the middle of something, too...but this is a good excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. This takes powdered chocolate and milk to a whole new level. I am all over this one.

    I am also very impatient, and while spring appears to be coming slowly here - daffodils and sunshine yes, but its freezing cold - I did the whole thign where I removed blankets from beds and frenshed everything up, and then had to put them back on when I realised it would be cold for another month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. going to try this besides it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious! We're having a wet, rainy first day of Spring here...unfortunately the hot chocolate in my office lobby is not anything like that good. :(

    ReplyDelete