Onion Jam, Two Ways

January 26, 2012

Onion Jam

After trying two different onion jam recipes this week, I've decided it's time to invest in a pair of onion goggles. I soaked all of the onions in cold water before slicing, and it really helped with the sting... until they began to cook. It seems that once they warm up, there isn't anywhere in the house I can go to hide from the dreaded onion tears.

Onion Jam

The first onion jam recipe I tried was a simple red wine vinegar concoction based on this recipe. I like it because it's light (and pink), and a little different than the taste I'm used to from the second recipe for roasted garlic and onion jam made with balsamic vinegar. Still, the roasted garlic and onion jam is my favorite of the two. It's rich and sweet, and it makes me very happy. Almost as happy as bacon jam.

I like to eat onion jam on toast - plain or with goat cheese, over pan-fried potatoes with an egg on top, as a sandwich/burger spread, or with crackers, but there are so many more possibilities. It's quite versatile.

Of course, I'm still looking for the perfect onion jam recipe. Both of these were very good, but they were also much sweeter than I anticipated. As someone who generally prefers salty and savory foods, I'd love to find a recipe for onion jam that pushes more in that direction. I'm sad to say that more onion lives will be lost in search of the perfect balance for my palate.

9 comments:

  1. I think if I make this I might die of happiness.

    Onions so perfectly go with everything. Also, the pink one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like onions but suffer so too when working with them. My hubby swears by the 'light the wooden match, blow it out and hold it in your teeth' while peeling and chopping..he's from the south, so it works for him...doesn't for me, so very sad. - I will keep my eye out for your perfect onion recipe, one not too sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use onion on the daily, and i too, have been dying to have a pair of onion goggles!! I need to try these onion jams! YUMM!
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried pickled onions? I love this super-simple recipe. There is some sweetness, but not too much. http://notwithoutsalt.com/2010/07/01/quick-pickled-red-onions/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look DELECTABLE! I've just discovered the many uses for a large jar of fried-onions (from my local Asian food market). Your jam would be a great addition to alllll kinds of foods, as well!!

    -PZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh onion jam sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - I've never heard of onion jam, but it sure sounds delicious! I'm about to make the chai concentrate you posted a while back tomorrow, and I'm psyched! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who says you cannot can in the winter? I just made strawberry freezer jam. I never thought of making Onion Jam, but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete