A New Year

January 3, 2012

I may be a few days late, but happy New Year! 2011 was an incredibly memorable year for me, and I'm looking forward to what 2012 has to offer (apocalypse aside). And yes, I have my New Year's resolutions carefully written down in the pages of my journal in large, colorful ink, but I won't bore you with those right now.

This is the first week I've been home since early December. In case you were wondering, my step-mom is recovering well, and it looks like she'll be returning to semi-normal functionality soon. While I was discussing yarn with her one day, I learned that she's really into natural fibers, and has quite a bit of experience with alpacas. She even has a spinning wheel that, unobservant as I am, I only recently became aware of. She's had it for years, of course. I'm not sure how I could've missed it. Anyway, it's really beautiful.



She sent me home with this basket full of goodies: a bag of washed llama fleece, carders, instructions on hand-spinning, and a bag full of rolags that she carded herself.

Fiber Fiber

The rolags look like puffy little clouds, and they're very soft. As you can imagine, this has me interested in learning how to treat and spin fiber myself. Matt likes to joke around that he knew this step in my yarn-obsessed progression was imminent. First I start crocheting, then knitting, then I get interested in natural fibers, then I teach myself how to spin...

Yes. I foresee in my future a farm full of goats and sheep and llamas and rabbits...



There's only one contraption in the basket that I don't understand. Can anyone tell me what that little wooden gadget is in the photo?

8 comments:

  1. How exciting to start on this new project! I don't know what that is but I will leave you with a link to leigh's blog - 5 acres and a dream, you might take a look around and see if she has anything to help solve the mystery.
    http://my5acredream.blogspot.com/
    Happy New Year to you and your Matt..So happy to see you back at home again! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a niddy-noddy, you use it to turn your yarn into tidy skeins. Spinning is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the more interesting niddy-noddy's I have ever seen. But once you start using it you will see how useful it can be : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cozy gift basket, Lindsay! Your step-mom sounds like a lovely lady. <3

    I got into yarns and fibers over the holiday, too. I've been felting all the soaps in my house! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, goats are the next step...and sheep, and bunnies! Looks like a fun goodies basket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I am so jealous. I lookf orward to your adventures in woolmaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see how the wool turns out- so exciting!! Truly a project from start to finish!

    -PZ

    ReplyDelete