Mulled Wine

November 16, 2011

Mulled Wine

I've been curious about this mulled wine stuff for a long time. Especially since reading about it, over and over, in George R.R. Martin's series, A Song of Ice and Fire. It just seemed like it might be really good, and warm, and full of spice - perfect for the holidays.

While visiting a friend over the weekend, I was given my first glass, and it was everything I thought it'd be. I decided I needed to figure out how to make it at home because the spices are really simple and plentiful in our kitchen pantry.

Spices

After doing a little research (and experimentation), I've found my favorite combination of spices for a bottle of red wine. If anyone has a good recipe for mulled white wine, I'd love to know. Somehow I think cardamom and honey would be perfect.

Mulled Wine
1 bottle of wine
1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
1 tsp orange zest
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in pieces
1 tsp allspice
10-15 cloves

Pour the wine, sugar and the spices into a medium saucepan. Warm over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Make sure the wine does not boil.

Once the wine is warm, strain into mugs and enjoy.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, how I could go for some of this right now.
    I'll mulled mead before, but never just wine. Sounds like it would be great for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect weather for a spicy brew like this...we are having a high wind up here at the Little House, I hear it is pretty nasty in Portland too! Have you heard there may be a bit of the white stuff? xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have, Sherri! It seems cold enough, too. I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mulled wine! I usually slice the orange and throw the whole thing in to mull. Then I add a splash of brandy to mine when I'm done with the mulling step.

    I've never thought of trying mulled white wine. I can't imagine what that would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I do have an extra bottle hanging around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygoodness, this looks heavenly!! :) I'm craving some, now - I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - my recipe (originally my mum's) ads half a carton of fresh orange juice, it's a little less deep in flavour, but lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to try this when we have company over next month. And, I love the idea of cardamon and honey in white wine~ brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading about mulled wine for soo long, what type of red wine did you wind up using!?

    Ps: I love how you love Fleet Foxes as much as my family and I do. My husband thinks that Blue Ridge Mountain's about him because it has his name in the song. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandy - Hah, anyone who likes Fleet Foxes is a friend of mine! We ended up using $2 Chuck from Trader Joe's. It's a super cheap merlot, but it's still much better than jug wine (like Carlo Rossi, which we've been known to buy from time to time...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny you tried the two buck chuck, the hubby randomly stumbled upon a case from his buddy. free's a good price to me! :) we've got about 9 bottles of Shaw-merlot.
    Looks like we'll be having a very MERRY holiday ;)
    great recipe blog lindsay!

    ReplyDelete