Acorn Squash

November 10, 2011

Acorn Squash

It gets dark so early now that daylight-saving time has come, which means the window of opportunity for taking decent photos in natural light is maybe four hours wide (and shrinking), depending on the weather. We're restricted with sunlight in our apartment because of the direction we're facing, and the surrounding trees, so this might be a good time for me to play with photographing things in artificial light.

Acorn Squash

The whole light thing really isn't a problem except when we make something for dinner that I really want to share with you, like these acorn squash from Matt's grandpa's garden. We've been eating them roasted in halves with butter and a little brown sugar. I know this is one of the most basic recipes on the planet for acorn squash, but it's also one of my most favorite things about fall, so I thought I'd put it up as a reminder. If you're looking for something a little more elaborate, this recipe for stuffed squash is really good too.

Roasted Acorn Squash 
1 acorn squash
1/4 cup (1/2 a stick) salted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

Slice your acorn squash in half, lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. Place your two halves on a cookie sheet, skin down. Place in the oven on middle rack for 20 minutes.

While the acorn squash is roasting, mix your butter and sugar together to form a paste. Take out the squash once it has been in the oven for 20 minutes. Place the butter-sugar paste in the cavities of the squash, making sure to divide the paste evenly. Place the squash back in the oven for 40-60 minutes, until the flesh is tender.

Remove from oven. Using a pastry brush, spread the melted butter and sugar mixture all over the flesh of the squash. Allow the squash to cool for five minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I know what you mean--very hard to get good food photos at dinnertime these days. If you're looking for just a teeny variation, we had this the other night and it was awesome: http://sproutedkitchen.com/?p=1099

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yum! We'll try that for sure. Thanks for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, of all the blogs I follow, your photos are my very favorite and these 2 are a perfect example of why...Just this morning I was thinking about the darkish effect of your photos and how you do it. There is a real "feel" that you capture. - I like my acorn squash the same simple way that you made it..Yum! - Hope you and Matt have a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yum-o! Look forward to trying acorn squash. It will be a first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sherri. That really means a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you eat the skin of the acorn squash? I had read online that some people do, and I'm tempted to, now that I've experienced what it's like trying to scoop out the insides after baking...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I don't eat the skin, but I do pick it up and scrape the flesh off with my teeth. It's a smidge barbaric, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love acorn squashes! I just hate trying to cut them in half. I always lose :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love acorn squash, and this simple recipe is my absolute favorite way to eat it. It tastes so delicious as it is, I don't like to mess with it too much.

    And, I love your photos. Very soft and natural.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acorn squash are one of my favorite parts of fall. I'm constantly eating them, and then I'm depressed when they aren't in stores anymore.

    ReplyDelete