From the Garden

October 20, 2011

Herbs

Monday was a really beautiful 70°F and sunny day, so Matt and I went outside to clean off our back patio area, retiring our container garden for the year. I can now safely say that I'm glad we gave container gardening another chance this summer, because all of our tomatoes, peppers and herbs produced impressively. We may experiment with cover crops over these cooler seasons to preserve the nutrition of our soil, but we're not entirely sure how much longer we'll be staying in this apartment, so it might not be worth the time and effort.

Windowsill

Anyway, we harvested the last of our tomatoes, and transplanted some of our herbs into pots for the windowsill in our kitchen. They smell amazing and make me want to cook all the time, and they look pretty next to the carnations Matt brought home a few days ago.

In the mail.

Speaking of cooking, I finally got around to buying Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. People have been telling me that I need to buy this cookbook for ages, so I finally did some research on it and decided they were probably right. I'm planning to curl up on the sofa with some tea to give it a good read-through tonight. I always like to make a list of all the recipes I want to try with new cookbooks I like. It's one of my favorite things.

9 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of both your weather and your garden. I've tried patio and window gardens here in AZ, and all my plants are always scorched to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going through cookbooks too! What are some of your other favorites?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @dontforgettoknitawesome: We usually have the opposite problem - the weather never quite warms up enough. I'm hoping the herbs survive okay enough in the window this winter, but we'll see how it goes. :)

    @katiebee: right now, I'm really loving the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen and The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. What about you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - my pot 'garden' had been needing some love - it got a little neglected in our recent move, so my herbs are looking pretty sad - but I'm hoping they'll survive the winter on a sill! :) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I love Nourishing Traditions. It changed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to bring in your herbs, I should at least get my Italian Parsley in a pot/pots, to use through the winter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You won't regret picking up Nourishing Traditions. It will change your life. It did mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so lovely! Happy cooking! The book looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've always wanted to buy nourishing traditions.. just haven't had the money! :-( you should post a recipe from there!

    ReplyDelete