Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

September 30, 2011

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

For the last few years, instead of buying pumpkin pie spice at the store, I've been making up my own concoction based on the flavors I'm really looking for. I make a large enough batch to last through the autumn months, and not just for pumpkin pies, but for apple pies, apple butter, spiced hot chocolates and teas as well. I usually roast the spices whole before grinding them into a powder, but sometimes I don't. Either way, making this at home has given me the opportunity to use the freshest spices available to me, and it really affects the flavor.

This is the ratio of spices that I used this year, but you can tweak the amounts (or omit a spice you don't like) to suit your taste. I'm giving these measurements in powder form because whole spices vary in size, but this is about how much powder was yielded from my whole spices this year:

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Mix well until all of the spices are evenly distributed. Store in an airtight container, and use within two to three months for fresh results.

13 comments:

  1. Every fall, I dread buying the pumpkin pie spice in the little container, wondering just how old it is. These are spices I always have, so it will be fresh all of the time! Thanks and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. I also buy my spices whole and am happy to have a new recipe to start with. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will use this a good deal this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your house must smell divine! Perfect weather for it too.

    Have you posted a chai spice recipe? I'll go have a look, I need a new one to try. Stay cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the spiced chai concentrate recipe is here:

    http://awoodennest.blogspot.com/2011/08/spiced-chai-concentrate.html

    It's soooo good! You definitely have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Lindsay, that's so great!

    Thanks for the recipe. I'm in charge of the pie this weekend so it will definitely come in handy.

    -hks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thank you so much for this great idea. Will be putting together my own spice mix this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me want to go bake something! Thank you very much for sharing this with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be making mine soon--thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where can I buy "whole spices" - never thought of doing this before, thanks for the motivation to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you posted this! I've been using pie-spice by the handfuls in everything lately and would love to take a shot at making my own. I know what you mean by "the flavors I'm really looking for". The latest brand I bought has too much clove in it. Now I'm inspired to make my own perfect blend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you use a spice grinder for the allspice and cloves and zest the cinnamon and nutmeg separately? Or did you buy them already ground? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BrightDaisy - Our supermarket sells whole spices in the bulk section. We also sometimes find whole spices in El Guapo bags in the ethnic section of our store. If you don't have access to either of these things, or a spice store near your home, you may want to try buying online. I've heard people say that Penzey's is pretty good, but I've never bought from them myself.

    Sarah - I used a coffee grinder for the cinnamon, allspice, cloves and cardamom, and I zested the nutmeg. The only ingredient that was pre-ground was the ginger. :)

    ReplyDelete