End of Summer

September 21, 2011

When Matt and I left Portland for our honeymoon, it was 90°F outside. I don't know why we hadn't thought to pack proper beach attire, especially because we're both familiar with the weather on the Oregon Coast, but once we arrived, we hopped out of the car and immediately pulled extra clothes from our bags to bundle up.

Having a whole week to ourselves at the beach was so very needed and appreciated, and such a great way to end the summer. And then our week was up, and it was time to head back to reality. It seems we took the beach weather home with us, though, because it was cool and rainy when we got back into town. It truly feels like the end of a season, which is a little sad because this summer has been really special to me, but I'm definitely ready for fall.

Dilly Beans

I have few snippets of what the end of summer looks like around here, such as cracking open our first jar of dilly beans. The flavor isn't totally ripe (it takes about two months to fully ripen), but they're still so, so good, and I'm left wondering if 99 pints is really enough.

Autumn Apples

And apples from Matt's parent's apple trees. Speaking of apples, there are two apple trees on my walking route that never seem to get picked, but because they're in the middle of the street, I don't know who I could ask about gathering the apples for myself. I think I'm going to have to figure it out, though, because it's such a colossal waste of delicious apple butter waiting to happen.

Dried Tomatoes

And experiments with the food dehydrator. This year, I've made dehydrated cherry tomatoes and peppers, both of which are really tasty on top of homemade pizza. I'm thinking I might try dehydrated garlic next for homemade garlic powder.

Anyway, Matt and I are glad to be back. Fall is always such an inspiring season for me, so I'm very excited for things to come.

6 comments:

  1. We also had our honeymoon at the beach (many moons agao) and it was very special. Congratulations again on becoming Mr. and Mrs., I am very happy for you both!

    I am working on my dilly beans right now. I put up 6 quarts yesterday afternoon and have 14 pints in the pantry. We have a good crop this year so they will be keeping me busy for awhile. - What a good idea to dehydrate your cherry toms and peppers for your pizza, you and Matt are always coming up with such great things from your kitchen. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask the horticulture department of your local council. The tress are generally planted by them if they aren't in a garden. I'm sure they'd be happy for the fruit to be picked rather than wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of a rebel and would just steal them, myself. Ha!

    I'm soo mad summer is over already! I want more warm weather!!

    Glad you two had fun at the beach! Lets hang out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to comment on the fruit trees, I would contact the city that you are in and they will tell you what dept. is responsible for the trees. Then you can call them and I would just bet that they say you can have them...Unless it is in a dangerous place and then the danger/lawsuit thing starts in. Good luck, please let us know how it goes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to try a food dehydrator for these reasons! You have convinced me:)

    ReplyDelete