Apple-Honey Custard Pie

September 28, 2011

Apple Honey Custard Pie

Matt's parents gave us two buckets of apples over the weekend, so I've had apple butter on my mind. But before I started the process of coring, peeling and chopping, I wanted to make an apple pie! Or two.

So yesterday I was flipping through my cookbooks, and came across a recipe for Apple-Honey Custard Pie. I was a little skeptical at first because sliced apples in custard could potentially be a textural disaster, but I overcame my fears because the recipe looked so incredibly simple: slice a couple apples into small bits, toss the rest of the ingredients into a blender, pour over the apples, chuck it into the oven and bake! Easy, right?

Apple Honey Custard Pie

It was. And the texture? Kind of amazing, especially with a layer of chopped pecans on top. I really think this pie could contend with most other holiday pies, it's that good. And it goes especially well with a nice, hot mug of homemade spiced chai

Warm Spiced Chai

Have I mentioned that this is my favorite time of year, food-wise?

Apple-Honey Custard Pie
Your favorite pie crust for a 9" pie.
2 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart apples
4 large eggs
3/4 cup honey (I used 1/4 cup honey + 1/2 cup maple syrup)
1 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Handful of chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (optional).

Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a 9" pie pan with your favorite pie crust. My favorite recipe for pie crust is here. Spread the sliced apples evenly on top of your pie shell.

Add the rest of the ingredients to your blender, and blend until well combined. Pour the contents of the blender on top of the apples. Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top (optional), and bake for 45 minutes, or until the center is solid.

Allow the pie to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.

Recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum. that looks all kids of delicious.

    I love autumn food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that looks good! Time to start making pies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way, I love all the fall foods! Acorn squash, pumpkins, pecans, apples... everything goes so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new one to me, looks lucious and a snap to make too. Thanks! Your photos are a treat as usual! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, does that look heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! Did you bake the crust before filling it or cook it all at once?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete