Oven Baked Onion Rings

July 4, 2011

Oven Baked Onion Rings

After experimenting around last night, I came up with a recipe for oven baked onion rings that is almost as satisfying as its deep-fried counterpart. And considering how much healthier these onion rings are, I'd say it's worth the effort to make them at home, and would be a great side for your 4th of July barbecue.

Oven Baked Onion Rings

1 large yellow onion
Flour
Milk or Buttermilk
1 box Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp Salt

Grease or line a cookie sheet, and preheat your oven to 400°F.

Oven Baked Onion Rings

Peel your onion, and hold it lengthwise to make slices 3/4" to 1"-inch apart. Separate the rings into a bowl or plastic zip lock bag, and dredge with flour until all of the rings are evenly coated.

Set up two more bowls. In the first bowl, add your milk or buttermilk until the liquid is about 1-inch deep. Fill the second bowl halfway with the breadcrumbs. Add the salt, and stir to combine.

Each flour-coated onion ring must first be dipped in the bowl with the milk/buttermilk, and then immediately dipped into the bowl with the Panko bread crumbs. Make sure that the insides and outsides of the onion ring are evenly coated with breadcrumbs, and then place on the cookie sheet. Repeat the process for all of the onion rings.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the onion rings are golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cool for 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite condiments.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I fried some up this week. Messy business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos make everything look sooo good. This recipe would sure take the mess out of this side dish. Aren't we so happy that Panko bread crumbs came into the world?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that every time I pop over for a visit lately, I leave hungry.
    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My husband's favorite thing - I must make them for his 30th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the third one, it looks like what i wore on my wedding day. i had my mom wear the same flowers as a corsage at my wedding. she still has it, pressed between a book

    - sarah

    ReplyDelete