Honey Oat Bread

July 19, 2011

Homemade Honey Oat

It really doesn't feel like summer right now in Portland, Oregon. It's cool and rainy, and it plans to stay that way for another day or two. Lucky for me, I've been on a huge sandwich kick, and the weather is perfect for baking bread.

I came across this particular bread recipe in one of my cookbooks. It used to be that whenever I needed a recipe, I'd do a quick online search and find whatever I needed. Nowadays, however, I find myself turning to my cookbooks for almost everything. This recipe is from Bon Appetit, but it's listed online here if you'd like to try it yourself.

I made a slight change in the ingredients, using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. I also used a bread machine to knead my dough, but if you want the instructions to knead your dough by hand, visit the link:

Honey-Oat Bread
Makes two loaves.

1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon dry yeast
3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 or 5 cups whole wheat flour

1 large egg, beaten
Additional oats

Pour the water and the yeast into the bowl of your bread machine. Stir and wait five to ten minutes until the yeast has dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients, and turn your machine to the dough setting. Let the machine run its cycle.

Oil two 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2-inch loaf pans. Remove the dough from the bread machine and divide into two equal portions. Shape the portions into two loaves, and place one loaf in each loaf pan. Cover and let sit in a warm place for another 30 minutes to an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.

Remove the cover. Prepare an egg-wash by beating an egg. Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg and sprinkle with oats. Bake in a 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. The photo is beautiful, as usual..you bake a pretty loaf.

    I just got into town and it is bread weather!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that looks good! I like that you replaced the AP flour and it still looks like a nice light crumb. What happened to our summer? Will the tomatoes make it this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They'd better make it! I'm craving fresh tomatoes soooo bad, and was sorely disappointed by last year's harvest. Our little cherries are coming right along. :)

    ReplyDelete