Cape Meares

July 18, 2011

Starfish

My friends and I drove out to the beach on Saturday. We went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, and visited the Cape Meares Lighthouse and the famous Octopus Tree (which, sadly, you cannot climb). This is the third year in a row that we've driven to Cape Meares for a beach picnic, but it was the first time the tide was out far enough for us to climb the rocks and explore. There were sea anemones, starfish, and lots of different shallow water dwelling sea life. If the tide had been out just a little further, we could've explored the caves. Maybe next time.

I forgot to bring my camera, but I had my phone with me, so I passed it to my friend to take the photo of the starfish. I've seen lots of starfish, but this was probably the largest I've ever come across. It was the size of a serving plate, with a purple-red hue.

We were soaked from head to toe from the rain and the ocean's water before we were ready to head back, and when we returned home, Matt and I fell asleep almost immediately. I think we slept for a good 10 to 11 hours, and woke up wishing we were back at the beach.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a day trip to the beach and the Oregon Coast is the best! I'm so glad you got to be there when the tide was out...so many wonders to see. The salt air always makes me hungry and then I want to snooze for a long time just like you and Matt did..then we get home and start dreaming about the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across these cute crochet flowers, thought you might like to take a look.
    http://www.molliemakes.com/inspiration/we/fill-your-home-with-crochet-flowers/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable indeed, Sherri. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete