In the Garden

June 17, 2011

Pepper Plant

Tomato Plant

Chives

Cilantro

Lobelia

These are all from our back patio area. Everything seems to be taking off! Even the basil is sprouting, and our tomatoes have blossoms on them already. I say 'already' because last June's rain stunted the growth of our plants so much that we didn't see tomato blossoms until well into July.

I'm particularly excited about the Lobelia! This is the first time we've had flowers and veggies. We were going to plant vegetables in our little makeshift garden box, but all of the neighborhood cats used it as a you-know-what, so we didn't think it was a good idea to grow anything edible from its tainted soil.

I'm also excited because Matt went out to his Grandpa's place last weekend to plant more tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and beans. I haven't had time to to see any of it yet, but I'm very curious about how everything is growing. I can't wait to start pickling things this year. It seems that no matter how many jars of pickles we make, there's never enough.

As for our first garden harvest...
First Harvest

A little dill, lettuce, cilantro and mint. I made a salad (obviously), salsa, and some mint tea, which is fast becoming one of my favorite things.
 

4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty little bowl of goodies you have there....even though I have a "big" garden these days, i'm thinking of making a little patio space next year. I sort of miss my old one for just growing tiny bits of this and that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good idea! I love stepping right outside to pick a few things for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks very healthy. Last year was a huge let down, I am thinking this might be better. Have a wonderful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats fresh herbs from the garden :) Your yard looks great! I haven't made mint tea with fresh mint before, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete