Star-Anise Scones

May 3, 2011

Star Anise Scones

I wanted to make these star-anise scones because I thought they'd go really well with the lemon curd that I made last week (recipe coming soon). They so did.

I'll be honest, these scones are somewhat of a triumph for me. I've never liked the taste of anise, licorice or fennel seeds, but lately I've been craving hints of the flavor. It's pleasantly surprising!

Now, if only I could change my feelings about beets...

Star Anise Scones Star Anise Scones

I've found that there aren't many foods I don't like. There are, however, objectionable methods of food preparation. But I find that most foods have 'delicious potential,' and that's a hopeful thought. Maybe someday I'll find the right way to prepare those dreadful beets that everyone claims to love so much. I'm (trying to be) optimistic.

Star Anise Scones

Star-Anise Scones
Recipe very slightly adapted from Bon App├ętit.

2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
1 large egg
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground star anise
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (or 6 tablespoons) butter

2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons raw sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk 1/2 cup cream, egg, and lemon peel in medium bowl. Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Using large holes of box grater, grate butter over dry ingredients. Using fingertips, blend until coarse meal forms. Add raisins and cream mixture. Stir until moist clumps form, adding more cream by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Turn out onto floured surface; knead just until dough comes together.

Pat out dough to 1/2-inch-thick round. Using 2-inch-diameter cutter, cut out scones. Gather dough scraps; press out to 1/2-inch thickness and cut out additional scones. Transfer to baking sheet.

Brush tops of scones with 2 tablespoons cream; sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 16 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

9 comments:

  1. I am impressed that you made lemon curd, it is still on my 'to accomplish' list.

    The scones look yummy, espcially dressed in yellow and white! How funny that the day I went spice shopping for the two Indian recipes you offered, I picked up star anise too, just because! Guess that means I have to try this recipe too (licking lips).

    Have you tried roasted beets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've tried roasted beets. They were better, but I still didn't like 'em. Ah well..

    Let me know how the scones turn out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord have mercy on me. These looks AMAZING. Yum.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I'm with you on beets. I've tried them every which way and I think I can finally say exhaustively: I just don't like them.

    I'm not normally a fan of anise either, but these might be just the thing to try...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those scones look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie - Yeah, I hate to give up on it, but beets and I have never been friends. :\

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I see the lemon curd but what is the white cream on top of the scones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    I was just looking at your "contact me" page to find your twitter since you haven't posted here in a while (hope all three of you are doing well!) and I noticed this recipe under there! I'm going to test this out with Cardamom, since I have a whole bunch of it from making chai concentrate :D. A local bakery in Bend (Sparrow Bakery) makes "Ocean Rolls" which are basically croissants rolled in a cinnamon bun shape with cardamom-honey between the twists. Croissants are a bit too much for me to make myself, but I love making scones!

    ReplyDelete