On Sourdough

May 16, 2011

Matt and I were finally able to plant some seeds last week. The sun breaks were so nice that we spent most of our time gardening and walking around the neighborhood. I like it when the weather is warm enough during the day to open the windows. The fresh air is always welcome, even when it's raining.

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

I also spent some time experimenting with sourdough. I've had my homemade culture for over a year now, and I've used it every week to bake our daily bread, but I haven't gone beyond my go-to recipe (King Arthur's Rustic Sourdough Bread) until now. When I first started this process, my sourdough starter wasn't very active. As a result, I used it exclusively in recipes that called for both sourdough starter and commercial yeast. Over time, my starter has developed into something that can handle itself, so now I'm experimenting around to see how much it can do.

Right now, I'm working on a recipe for sourdough cinnamon rolls. So far, so delicious! I hope to share it with you soon.

4 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I have been looking into starting sourdough just from the environment but haven't done it yet, I've heard it isn't easy...That's good that you have been patient with your starter and now it is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word - those look soooo delicious!! :) Like I could eat 13 of them! lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just found your lovely blog! We are excited to see that you use sourdough! We have started a fun new baking group that focuses on finding new and unique uses for our starers and we would love for you to join us! www.sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete