Lemon Curd

May 13, 2011

Lemon Curd

I wrote about lemon curd for My Own Labels the other day, and I wanted to share the recipe over here with you folks. Lemon curd is actually really simple to prepare. I've made it on several occasions, and will say that the recipe from The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters is my favorite. I really love sour foods most of the time, but there are some lemon curd recipes that really make my mouth pucker. This recipe, however, is nice and mild, and can be used in several different ways: baked in a tart shell, spooned over scones, whipped into heavy whipping cream as a filling for cake...

Lemon Zest

I've heard that it's best to use Meyer Lemons (a cross between a lemon and an orange) for lemon curd because they're sweet, but I've never been able to find them. I bet you could mix a little freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice together to make something interesting. Or you could replace the lemons with limes.

Lemon Curd
Makes two cups, or one pint.
 •4 lemons
• 2 eggs
• 3 egg yolks
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) of butter, cut into small pieces

Grate the zest of one lemon and set aside. Juice the lemons; there should be about 1/2 cup juice. Beat the eggs, egg yolks, milk, sugar and salt together until just mixed. Stir in the lemon juice and the lemon zest. Add the butter.

Cook in a nonreactive heavy pan, stirring constantly over medium heat with a wire whisk. Continue stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, and remove from heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or the eggs will curdle.

Pour into clean glass jars to cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray! Thank you for posting this. Would be so delicious on scones!

    You can find Meyer Lemons at New Seasons from time to time. You can ask the produce folks when they are in season. They really are lovely, though not sweet like an orange but full of flavor. More expensive of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do that! Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meyer Lemons...I get all dreamy just hearing the name. This recipe sounds very nice, how can you go wrong with a recipe from Alice Waters..It is so pretty to look at too.

    I'm off to check out your My Own Labels link. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty photos! Love the labels you made for the jars, too, so cute and retro-feeling. The lemon curd sounds tasty, too. I'm pretty obsessed with the store-bought versions, but have never made it myself. This must soon be remedied...

    ReplyDelete