Whole Wheat Bran Muffins

March 11, 2011

Breakfast

Somewhere in the fuzzy past, I was perusing the shelves of my local grocery store, and saw a bag of wheat bran from Bob's Red Mill. I snatched it into my cart, and told myself that with this wheat bran, I would do great things! And then it sat there. Alone. In the dark depths of my kitchen cupboard.

Last week, I opened the same cupboard in search of something to make or bake. What that something was, I really couldn't say, but it was the bag of wheat bran that caught my eye. I sighed, picked it up, and examined the packaging. Most products from Bob's Red Mill have recipes printed on their label, so that's where I began my search for wheat bran inspiration.

Surprisingly, it was the muffin recipe that drew me. I altered a few of the ingredients based on what we have around the house, and was not disappointed with the outcome. These smelled so good right out of the oven, and they really taste amazing. I've already made another batch since last week, so I'm sure they'll become a breakfast staple for those mornings where I can't quite drag myself out of bed at 6am to make our usual morning oatmeal.


Whole Wheat Bran Muffins
Makes 12

1 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice (chop if large, such as dried dates or apricots)
1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds 
1/2 cup apple sauce (I used apple butter)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons oil
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F, and grease muffin tins.

Sift together the wheat bran, flour, baking soda, and baking powder with a whisk in a separate bowl. Add the dried fruit and nuts. Stir and set aside.

In a separate bowl or mixer, combine the milk, honey, molasses, oil, apple sauce, and beaten egg until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.

Spoon batter into the greased muffin tins. Place on the center rack in a preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown, and the sides begin to pull away from their cups. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes.

Adapted from the recipe on the packaging.

Matt likes to toast his with a little butter. I like mine plain, or with a little almond butter and apple butter. I've even tried it with homemade nutella! So good.

3 comments:

  1. Om nom. :) Thanks for the recipe! these look sooo good! I haven't baked with bran in a long time, too, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I bet those did smell good. Those kind of muffins are always good for 'sticking' with you through the morning.

    Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've reminded me how much we love muffins for breakfast around here. Haven't made them in a while. mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete