Homemade Vanilla Extract

March 3, 2011

On Friday, I asked if any of you could guess what I was making, and Cassie over at Sparrows and Arrows answered correctly! Vanilla extract.

Vanilla extract.

I've been making my own vanilla extract for awhile, and I love it. It's so easy, and it gives me something to do with all of my used vanilla beans. Listen to me: if you scrape out the seeds of a vanilla bean for a recipe, do not throw away the pods! Instead, stick them in a glass container, and cover with rum or vodka (not tequila). Give it a shake once a week or so, and it should be ready to use in a month or two.

5 comments:

  1. That is good idea and would be a great and welcome gift too, especially in a nice jar like yours.

    Barefoot Contessa puts hers in with sugar, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally! Vanilla sugar is so, so good. You could put a bean pod in with sugar, and then use it for extract after. Such a waste to throw them away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tag!!!

    -pz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh - soooo yummy!! :) It looks so pretty with it's little cork-top container, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete