Homemade Granola

March 4, 2011

Homemade Granola

I tried making granola last year, but the whole experience was a disaster. It wasn't the recipe's fault, of course. It was mine. I baked the dried fruits in with the oats and nuts, and the whole thing emerged from the oven a lumpy, chewy mess. Chewy can be good, but not the kind of chewy I'm talking about.

I was put off homemade granola for awhile after that, but I knew I'd get around to it again someday. I kept the idea in the back of my mind, and bookmarked any recipe I saw that looked good. After awhile, I noticed that most of the recipes were similar, so I took ideas from all of them to make a granola that I knew I'd like.

Dried FruitsMaking Granola
Making Granola

That's the thing I like most about making homemade granola - you can experiment with flavors by swapping in your favorite dried fruits, nuts, and natural sweeteners. So good!

For this round, I used:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried dates, diced

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together the old-fashioned rolled oats, coconut, and almond slices. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the oil and honey. Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until all of the dry ingredients are evenly coated. Pour into a large (I used 13" x 18"x 2") baking dish and spread evenly.

Place the baking dish into the oven, on the middle rack, stirring every five-ten minutes until the mixture is golden brown. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Once cool, add the dried fruits and stir. Store in an airtight container.

Adapted from this recipe, and this one.

Breakfast

Next time I make this, I'll use tips from this recipe, such as using honey + brown sugar, and cinnamon. I might even experiment around with walnuts and molasses. Yum!

What's your favorite way to make homemade granola?

5 comments:

  1. These are all of the ingredients that I have and really like. I tried making granola many moons ago with very poor results, so this one gives me hope.

    Have a great weekend Lindsay, and thanks for all of the great ideas that you share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! Your granola looks soo tasty! I'm not usually a typical breakfast-cereal eater (I crave protein in the morning and most often opt for an egg w/ toast). But this just looks delicious! Tho maybe more for an afternoon snack for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sherri!

    Rach - Yeah, it's great as a snack, too. You can always stir in some greek yogurt or almond butter for some protein. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make granola almost every week I use maple syrup for my sweetener, I haven't added coconut but now that I see you do I am going to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made my own but now feel very inspired :)

    ReplyDelete