Bacon Jam

March 28, 2011

Bacon Jam

This stuff is really good.

I originally saw the recipe for bacon jam on the blog Foodie with Family. It was one of those moments where I knew I'd have to try it, or the idea would forever gnaw at me. I needed to get it over with. The sooner, the better.

Bacon Jam

I halved the recipe, and still managed to fill a few half-pint jars. We kept one jar, and gave two away as prizes for game night last week. I'll be making this again, but I'll probably use less brown sugar next time. I wanted it just a tad less sweet, but everyone else seemed to really like it as-is.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. bacon, cut into 1-inch strips
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic (I used a whole head), crushed
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup very strongly brewed black coffee
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bacon Jam Bacon Jam
Bacon Jam

Toss the sliced bacon into a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Cook until the bacon browns, then turn off the heat, and transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.

Note: Instead of dumping out the excess bacon fat, pour all but 2 tablespoons into a jar to store in the refrigerator for later use.

Bacon Jam

Reheat the pot, and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the rest of the ingredients, and turn up the heat. Allow the mixture to boil, stirring the whole time, for about two minutes. Then turn the heat down to medium-low, add the bacon back in, and simmer until the mixture cooks down and the liquid has thickened into a syrup.

Turn off the heat, and let the mixture cool for about ten minutes. Pour into a food processor, and pulse a few times until the mixture becomes a spreadable consistency. Funnel the mixture into jars, and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.

8 comments:

  1. Bacon is all I need to hear and I'm there! Could this get any better? Someone was brilliant coming up with this..we all (bacon people), love our syrup getting on our salty bacon and then the onions...the entire thing makes my mouth water...One question, did you find putting the bacon back in, to cook longer, a concern about burning a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't burn at all once I put it back in, and I think that's because:

    1. The temperature was reduced to medium-low.

    2. The liquid in the pot was no longer made of fat, which was what fries the bacon in the first place. Meaning that instead of frying, the bacon just stewed in juices, making it more tender.

    That's my theory, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, bacon jam?!!
    Oh good gravy, the Mr. would go wild for that! Thank you for sharing.

    Just been catching up on all your goodness over here...anxiously awaiting the chocolate spread outcome. I've been wanting to make my own for a bit now.

    All your crocheted flowers are gorgeous and I love your garlands. What happy things you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet words! The chocolate-nut spread is coming very soon. I know which recipe I like best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! I've never heard of bacon jam, but it sounds heavenly! I told my husband about it just now, and he's already in love - lol. will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, coffee? Really? That sounds really odd. I mean I'm allergic to it but even if I wasn't...

    ReplyDelete