Show and Tell Monday

February 7, 2011

I've been happily immersed in the world of Harry Potter all weekend. Matt was kind enough to loan me his Kindle for the cause, and I was glued 'til the end. It was amazing! I know I'm behind the times, but what can I say? It took six months after graduating from college for me to even think about picking up another book.

But Harry Potter isn't my Show and Tell. It's just my reason for sharing something kind of quick and random this Monday. Here's a glimpse at our pantry:

bread and butter pickles
Bread and Butter Pickles

dill pickles
Spicy Dill Pickles

apple butter
Apple Butter

dilly beans
Dilly Beans

A couple of weeks ago, I took some photographs of the foods we were able to preserve over the summer. We're fairly new to the world of homemade pickles and jams, this being our second year, but the turnout was very good. It's definitely a lot of hard work, from harvesting the fruit/vegetables, to hours and hours spent over the stove, but it's so rewarding. Especially in the middle of winter when there's homemade apple butter on toast, or snacks with homemade pickles, cheese, and crackers.

My only regret is that we didn't make more. It's always a little sad to see the last jar go.

15 comments:

  1. Dilly beans are great. I used to make them every year and family members would fight over the last of them...Love your coverings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos! Every year I want to try my hand at this but I am so afraid that I will mess it up and won't sea them properly. Is it hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know it's time for Spring when the last of the pickles go... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those pretty paper wrapped jars. We actually have ended up with a glut of pickles this year. I may have to wrap some up prettily and give them away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, and looks yummy too. Katy, I am scared to try too. My grandfather used to make his own pickles. If he were still alive, I'd ask him to show me how.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the food preservation! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kt - Pickles and jam are pretty easy once you wrap your brain around it. Just make sure you do a little research on food preservation before you start. I can send you some helpful links if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look wonderful. My apple butter always is a caramelly color not the rosy color like you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dilly beans are amazing! James and I were so sad to eat our last jar :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos! Do you just use natural light? What is natural light in these parts? I don't have any, and I have tons of windows...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos! Do you just use natural light? What is natural light in these parts? I don't have any, and I have tons of windows...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, that's the light coming through our kitchen's sliding glass door. I had to scoot a chair right up against it to get enough light. And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linsday,
    yes I would surely take you up on the links offer
    thanks!
    kkeuter@gmail.com
    kt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics and everything looks so tasty! Two thumbs up for canning and home preservation! YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am new to preserving as well and it is so nice to enjoy a summer time treat in the dead of winter. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete