Paper garlands.

December 14, 2010

Handmade paper garland...
I began my adventure into paper garland-land the hard way: with glue and scissors. I seriously spent hours tracing circles, cutting, and gluing them back-to-back on string. It was a lot of time and effort for sup-par results, but I was determined because I wanted to make these for our wedding next September.

And then I realized the joys of a paper circle punch and my sewing machine...

Paper garland. Paper garland.
Paper garland. Paper garland.

And now I can't get enough. They're so fun to make!

Paper garlands.

I even made a Christmas garland to accompany the lonely old nutcracker.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! Your new found garland making technique is great and will make a lovely decoration at your fall wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :)

    I'm trying to think of some other DIY wedding decorations I can get started on. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I ♥ garland! And your nutcracker too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay I love these! I like to make paper garlands too. I don't know why I never thought of using my hole punch:) This will save me tons of time and give the scissors a rest I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love. just love this stuff. Love your blog. Makes me want to just make things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all fabulous! I am getting married in July and I love the idea of paper garlands (our wedding is also barn/farm themed). Do you have any advice on paper weight, source, thread type, and the kind of needle? Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenna - Cardstock seems to work best. If you have thinner paper, you might want to double it up. I found most of my paper at Michael's. They have a really good solid color collection, and it's especially nice if you can find it on sale.

    As for the thread, I use Coats and Clark all-purpose, and the needle I've been using is a size 11.

    Hope that helps! Good luck to you, and congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the quick response, Lindsay! I just went and bought vintage postcards at our local scrap store so I can mix in those technocolors. I will send pics if it turns out half as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete