Stuffed squash.

October 23, 2010

Stuffed squash.

If you have a miscellaneous crate of various squashes sitting around in your kitchen as we do, you might be interested in a recipe for stuffed squash. Of course, there are several ways one might stuff a squash, but my experience is limited on the matter. Below you'll find the recipe we tried the other night. It was delicious.

How do you stuff your squash?

Ingredients:
2 acorn or butternut squashes
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3-4 T. butter
1 cup coarsely crumbled bread
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup dates
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350°F

Split your squashes in half lengthwise down the middle and remove the seeds. Turn them faced-down on an oiled tray and bake for 30 minutes. Check tenderness, and bake another 10-15 minutes longer if necessary.

While the squash is baking, saute the onions, garlic, and nuts in butter over medium-low heat until the onions are translucent and the nuts are browned. Add the bread, herbs, lemon juice, and the dates and cook over low heat for 5 or 6 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and mix in the cheese.

Remove squash from oven and face upright when the meat is tender. Fill the cavities of the squash with the stuffing. Place stuffed squash on a cookie sheet and cover all with one sheet of foil. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Top with grated Parmesan and serve.

Adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook.

10 comments:

  1. Those look yummy! But I spy red onions in there and I'm allergic to those. I would have to omit the onion all together for this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and delicious looking. I'll have to come up with a rad allergy-free version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chels - just use a different color onion. Or shallots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look incredible! I'll be sure to report back with results if I actually get around to trying out your recipe.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do look good1 the photo looks like it could be in a cooking magazine. i love baked squash this is a must do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing. I love the picture too. I want a shirt in the pattern of your speckled squash. You're so lucky to have those squashes lying around, I hope you sketched them first!!! (craft club, craft club!!)

    -pz<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! I have not yet sketched said squash, and but I'll remember the idea for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never have made stuffed squash, but this sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try instead of my typical soup. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a general fan of any food stuffed with any other food, but this takes it to some sort of special level. That photo is enchanting me ... I have no doubt it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete