An unhappy crochet cramp.

October 12, 2010

In progress.

It seems I have overexerted myself.

After puttering around on granny squares for a few days, I've developed a rather nasty cramp in the fleshy/muscle-y area under my left thumb. I can't pick up the hook without feeling the pain, and so I've issued a self-imposed moratorium on granny squares until the problem is resolved.

In progress.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed. Granny squares have been the perfect companion for the transition we've been having into colder weather. They keep my fingers in constant motion, warding off the incessant outside chill. I always forget how cold it can be while my man, the fluffy feline, and I are all laying on the floor during the warm summer months, side-by-side (not touching!), with the fan blowing on us in equal turn.

Needless to say, we are all huddling close together again.

Anyway, no worries. I'm dabbling around with embroidery to occupy my fingers until the crochet-induced cramping goes away. These things have a knack for taking care of themselves, right? Heh.

Dabbling around

Dabbling around

I'm having fun with embroidery, but I'm a bit of a stickler for finished projects. If I don't get to them while I'm 'in the mood,' I fear they'll sit around for ages, collecting dust. Not cool. So I'm anxious to get back to those granny squares straight away.

Wish me luck? And if anyone knows a good tip or trick to ease the cramping, please! Let me know.

Footnote: check out my Dilly Bean recipe over at My Own Labels. :)

7 comments:

  1. I suffer with that on occasion. I get when I dig with a trowel or do a lot of prunning..other things too that I can't think of right now....Anyway, my Chiropractor yanks on my thumb. I know that sounds strange but it works. You can do it too, just relax your hand and take your thumb in your other hand and pull slightly straight out and kind of move it in a circle and then jiggle it a bit then gently yank on it a few times. Keep doing it every so often. My chiro would tell me to stretch every so often no matter what your are doing, not stretching often enough and you get problems like this. Wow, that was a long lesson. Hope you can make sense of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it gets better soon! Make sure to rest it. Sherri's advice sounds like a good technique. I get this way whenever I knit which I think I over did when I was younger so be careful:) It is so hard to stop I know this:) But those pretty squares will be there when your thumb gets some needed rest.
    p.s. loved your jarred dilly beans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, Sherrie. I'm giving it a try. Gonna have to develop a stretching routine before I crochet I guess. :)

    kt, I'm glad you liked the jars! I had fun putting it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I must say that despite the cramping, all your projects look just beautiful! I love the colors you chose for the granny squares, what sort of yarn are you using?
    The embroidery is gorgeous, I must get back to doing some, it is such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. :)

    The yarn is Bernat's 100% cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the colors are so beautiful together on the squares. i collect vintage embroidered tablecloths, your embroidery is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, thank you! I'm still trying to learn about embroidery, but it's so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete