A choice of epic proportions.

July 3, 2010

The fiance is at work, so the cat and I are home alone. We have opened all of the windows, and are sitting quietly, listening to the pops, cracks and squeals of the fireworks around us. It is still too light outside to see anything spectacular, but the sounds are everywhere. Luckily, the cat does not get upset and whimper at the noise as a dog might, but lays around on his back, twitching his ears now and then whenever he hears something unusual.



I planted the cinder blocks outside with herbs a couple of days ago, just before it began to drizzle, but the seeds have yet to germinate. There is still a lot of work to be done before all of the ugly is gone from our little square of backyard, but plants will help the situation. They always do. Not to mention, I have a trusty new green spade to help with all beautifying endeavors.

Meanwhile, I am happy to report that (some of) our pepper plants are looking much healthier. Many of them have died from the ridiculous amount of rain we received in June, but the ones that survived are trooping along just fine.

A pepper plant.

I plucked out all of the dead pepper plants this last weekend and replaced them with other green edible plantery. I still find it a little hard to "pluck" my beloved plants from their beds, but I convince myself that I'm just being soft and that plants really don't have feelings, and even if they do, these particular ones are dead, and wouldn't they want me to give other plants a chance at life?

Perhaps my internal dialogue is best kept to myself.

I will change the subject now by pointing out a miracle: A little basil plant from last summer's garden that has been limping around my windowsill all winter long remains alive and well...

An old basil plant...

Truthfully, I know that many of you green-thumb types may scoff at my sense of perspective, but I have killed many a plant in my one year of gardening experience, so I know that this little basil plant's life is a miracle indeed. Now that the weather is manageable, it spends its days outdoors, soaking up the sun, and living in luxury.

As for the 4th of July, I have been assigned the role of festive dessert-maker for the barbecue. I must make an epic choice between a cheesecake topped with strawberries and blueberries to complete the red, white and blue color scheme, or a strawberry shortcake with blueberries thrown in on the side. And if I make the strawberry shortcake, do I use homemade biscuits or pound cake for the bread-y bits?

Choices, choices.

I may just do both.

4 comments:

  1. Your basil story gives me hope--I'm already starting to worry (yes, in July) about how my dear basil plants will fare on my windowsill when the weather tuns to Autumn.

    As for the dessert conundrum, I think "both" is always the best choice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Both" was the choice to make indeed, I think. Everything was happily consumed.

    I'm actually a little shocked about the little basil plant's renewed vigor. It was a sore, droopy sight in my windowsill all winter long, but I couldn't get myself to toss it out. I'm glad I didn't.

    Good luck with your basil plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Are you kidding? I love your inner plant dialog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! :)

    Is there such a thing as a crazy plant lady?

    ReplyDelete