Homemade laundry detergent.

June 18, 2010

I vowed to try my hand at homemade laundry detergent once our old box of powder from Trader Joe's was gone. That was... two weeks ago? Since then, the laundry has been piling high, waiting for me to fulfill my end of the bargain. I found the recipe here, but doubled the amounts because I didn't think 4.5 cups of detergent would last very long with 1/4 cup of the mixture needed per load. In retrospect, I might go ahead and stick to the proper amounts next time because I wasn't able to stir the ingredients hard or fast enough to avoid the dreaded lumps.

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Ah well... it seems to be cleaning the laundry well enough, but I might try this recipe next time to compare/contrast.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making your own detergent! Summer is a good time to experiment, when life is a little less busy. We happen to have just run out of our store-bought stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might as well give it a try! It has been working pretty well for us so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came via Hula70's laundry post--intrigued by your comment. "Poor economic standing'?!?! Unreal! Hanging laundry is the first "summer" activity I attempt in the soggy NW. Feelin' for ya. And following ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I was so angry when I read about it. Google "Bend Oregon Susan Taylor" and you'll find all sorts of articles about the debate on hanging laundry.

    Anyway, it's nice to meet you and I'll be reciprocating the 'follow.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SOOO going to be happening in our house.

    ReplyDelete