Goodbye june.

June 30, 2010

I was very fond of June this year, and I am sad to see it go. Aside from my birthday and the happy change in the weather, this month has marked a transition in my life that I am just now starting to experience. You cannot embrace something if you do not feel it, so I am relieved that graduation is finally starting to sink in. I am no longer a student, or an 'informational sponge,' as I liked to call myself, and I no longer feel the constant weight of stress. It's nice.

I used to dream about the days where I could stop absorbing facts and finally put everything I have ever learned to use. I spent a good majority of my procrastination time writing up gigantic - and probably unrealistic - summer to-do lists that I wanted to tackle the minute that finals ended, and I was determined to work down the line with a sense of urgency because free-time is precious and not to be wasted! I am glad that my frantic attitude has been replaced with ease and relaxation. While I find myself as determined as ever to conquer my goals, I am also very much inclined to take my time and enjoy myself with whatever I am doing. I'll leave the cramming and the stress to the college kids.

So this last weekend, while admittedly slow, has been full of fun little outdoor projects. My man brought out the cinder blocks that were once used as the building-blocks to a makeshift entertainment center, and placed them in a row for future container garden endeavors. I might squish them together a bit more for aesthetic purposes, but I am thinking they would do nicely for some herbs. Basil and cilantro, perhaps? Some thyme? I'm open to suggestions.

As for our tomatoes, they have been pruned and are growing quite well,
Tomatoes, tomatoes.

...but some of our peppers did not survive the rains, so they will be plucked and their planters replaced with something promising. In any case, we have decided not to start seeds at home anymore because our set-up does not accommodate sunlight. Because of this, our seedlings depend solely on fluorescent bulbs, and those that survive our black thumb tendencies turn out weak and spindly. Perhaps we will give it another go in the future when we reside elsewhere. For now, we have discovered that we can find all of the heirloom varieties that we want at the local farmer's market - all healthy and reasonably priced.

And do you see those boards laying in the background of the above photo? Our apartment manager replaced them with the very fence they are laying against and said that we might use them to build a garden box. The idea sounds intriguing, though I would liked to have known about this option months earlier so that we might have put it to use earlier in the season. As it stands, we must now decide whether or not we will be staying here long enough to make it worth our while. I think it could be good practice in building things, though I dislike nosy neighbors who are easily irritated by daylight hammering.

Making 'thank you' cards.

I also took my 'papering' outside to make some thank you cards for my soon-to-be in-laws for their generosity and support for my birthday/graduation. They are all so kind and warm to me, and I wish there was something more I could do for them to express my gratitude. I am finding, more and more, that family is not necessarily what you were born into, but the people around you who love, support, and accept you no matter what. They are the people who make you feel like their home is your home, and are those who will throw you a barbecue or a party because you are happy and you want to celebrate, and because you ask.

Goodbye June! You will be missed.

4 comments:

  1. Your garden looks so promising! I love the colorful tomato planters, mine are just plain brown.
    And I know what you mean about that sense of urgency to take advantage of free time--it's a struggle to get the right balance between productivity and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed. I tend to lean toward one extreme or another, depending on which phase I'm going through. Balance is definitely something to work toward.

    The planters we have are from Home Depot. Maybe $15-20 bucks for the big ones... Cheapest we could find, haha. But hey, brown is one of my favorite colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! And I hope you do find lots of time to relax now that the stressful stuff is over. Taking time to dig in the garden is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete