Birthday festivities and thrifty inspiration.

June 22, 2010

This year's birthday festivities were really nice; full of friends and unexpected surprises that seemed to extend throughout the whole weekend so that I happily spent the day itself with only my man and the little guy. We originally had other plans, but I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

We ran a few errands and then stopped by his folks' place to drop off a father's day gift: triple salted caramel cupcakes, one of my favorite cupcake recipes of all time.

Triple salted caramel cupcakes.

After that, he took me out for dinner. We've been eating out too much lately, of course, but it was my birthday. Like usual, I told the server that if she were to sing to me the song, I would die of some horrible rare disease. She seemed instantaneously relieved and happy to serve me my wine with the utmost discretion.

We ended the night with a little thrifting, wherein I purchased myself a few inspirational gifts. Mostly some yarn, a few bits of fabric, more mugs to add to the collection, and - of course - jars. I feel that if I surround myself with inspirational things, the stars will align and I will suddenly find myself doing something with all of it.

Yarn balls.

For instance, the more balls of yarn I collect, the more likely I am to teach myself to knit and crochet, which are both skills that need a little, uh... brushing up. Also, the more fabric I stockpile, the more likely I am to purchase myself a little sewing machine. If I have a sewing machine, I might be inclined to learn how it's used. You see where I'm going with this?

That basket that the yarn is sitting in has been claimed by the little guy, so one of my first projects might be to crochet him a nice basket-sized blanket or two. I think that would be good practice, don't you?

6 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look amazing! We've been eating out too much as well lately - wonder if it's something in the air? ;) Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a great idea to surround yourself with the inspiration!! I may try that myself...

    I'm glad you had a good birth-day!

    -pz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something in the air indeed! We're going out again tonight to meet up with my man's folks. I think a long break is in order...

    Zoe - definitely try it. Sometimes it takes awhile, but the inspiration bug hits eventually and when it does, you will be prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE salted caramel cupcakes! Thanks for reminding me I need to make a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, anytime. They're soooo good. :)

    ReplyDelete